What’s the best skincare routine?
We get asked that question all the time. The honest answer? There is not a one-size-fits-all approach to skincare. For the next few months we are going to be featuring a few Starling Devotees and the routines that work for them. It’s called Starling IRL (In Real Life) and we think you’re going to enjoy it! We’re finding a lot of great tips ourselves.
Today, we’re featuring Starling founder Nathalie’s routine. She has flawless skin and glows all day long. For her it turns out that simple and clean products rule:
Says Nathalie: At the end of the day, you need to select one routine that works best for your skin type. An effective skincare routine is a combination of products and process. I believe most good skincare routines start with wholesome and clean cleansing – nothing harsh.
Unfortunately, a lot of people use sulfate-based soaps and irritating scrubs to cleanse. These weaken the the microbiome — your skin’s natural protective barrier. It's so unnecessary and harmful to your skin, especially sensitive skin.
Skincare products packed with toxins and artificial ingredients can also take away skin health and increase the risk for skin diseases, including rosacea and eczema. Toxins can also be absorbed into the skin and build up in the body, leading to other health issues.
The great news for everyone is there are plant-based, natural and simple formulations (made for sensitive skin) that work much better than most drugstore brands do!
My own skincare routine is simple, effective and affordable. I chose this regimen because I need all natural products. My skin is extra sensitive. I am also allergic to parabens (artificial preservatives) and a handful of other toxins to boot. My mantra is less is more when it comes to skincare.
Here's how it goes ... Morning:
1. I actually don't cleanse. I splash cool water on my face and pat dry.
2. I apply Super Boost hyaluronic serum. It's great for all skin types. One or two pumps onto my hands, then massage on my clean, damp skin. The rose scent is so refreshing. It contains large weight hyaluronic acid molecules, considered the best HA for sensitive skin. It plumps your skin by pulling moisture into the layers beneath the surface.
3. I apply my Revive face oil. Two to three drops on the palms of my hands, rub together until warm, then pat all over my face and neck. This oil doesn't clog pores. It's featherweight and sinks right into my skin, leaving it supple and smooth. That’s it! I’m done until bedtime.
1. I cleanse with Nurture cleanser. Whether I wear makeup or not, I first apply a quarter-size amount of the cleanser on my fingertips, I then apply all over my dry face and neck. I take a warm cotton pad or washcloth and wipe my skin clean, then I apply more cleanser (a dime-size amount) and add water and lather thoroughly. This cleanser also removes eye makeup. Nurture is highly moisturizing and nourishing and tones as it cleanses. Post-cleanse, my skin is soft and feels well-cared for. It smells really great, too, with hints of frankincense.
2. I apply Super Boost again, because it works like a toner. It refreshes and tightens pores. One to two pumps onto my hands, massage in.
3. Lastly, I apply my new favorite Super Dew. It is 100% plant-based squalane face oil. It's amazing — I am not kidding. I had never even heard of Squalane until a friend, Starling co-founder Lisa, brought it to my attention. This stuff is incredible! It doesn't feel greasy and it doesn't clog pores. It just sinks right in, hydrating and moisturizing your skin. Best of all, Super Dew is vegan and is derived solely from olives.